OVERVIEW: Palm Beach Symphony seeks an experienced and highly motivated Communications Manager to lead and manage the communications functions for a well-established professional symphony orchestra. The ideal candidate must have a minimum of two years’ experience in writing/communications, will be an excellent communicator with a demonstrated ability to speak and write in a clear, concise, and persuasive manner; a strong sense of initiative; strong managerial qualities; and an ability to work independently and with great attention to detail.
SUMMARY: The main purpose of the Communications Manager is to implement communication strategies with Palm Beach Symphony’s (PBS) key constituencies in an effort to promote a positive brand and name recognition within the community, while simultaneously positively increasing awareness of the mission and fundraising efforts. Under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer, this position is responsible for coordinating organization-wide design, message, and content generation, including electronic and print communications, as well as advocacy, media, and public relations efforts. This position works to achieve brand consistency, coordination of messaging, and the highest standards for both internal and external communications.
General Administration and Communications
- Serve as contact for all public relations media outlets, sometimes in conjunction with PR Firm
- Work closely with marketing, PR, and development teams to develop PBS Communications
- Work in collaboration with staff to effectively communicate PBS events, concerts, education and community initiatives
- Coordinate and oversee the production of all print collateral (including copy and design) working closely with marketing and development staff to ensure consistent branding and messaging (including season brochure, impact report, program books, invitations, fact sheets, and other collateral)
- Develop/create content for PBS Communications
- Press Releases
- Board & CEO Talking Points and Program Letters
- Company Narrative
- Concert & Member Event Descriptions
- Blogs/Articles, PBS stories
- Letters to Members, Donors, VIPS
- Sponsorship Decks
- Musician Bios
- Non-Concert Event Programs (HJ, Gala)
- Post-Event Surveys
- Update print and online calendar listings for concert performances and social events
- Cultivate relationships with community partners and the press
- Manage concert photography
- Assist with managing photo and video usage (live events, social media, YouTube Channel, marketing table, print collateral etc.)
- Write and develop stories, advertorials, blogs, etc.
- Pitch and place stories in coordination with PR firm
- Assist PR firm with booking of TV, radio, and print interviews
- Assist PR firm with sending, tracking, and following media alerts
- Attend PR conferences and events
Patron Cultivation and Revenue Enhancement Strategy
- Work with development to manage the organization’s list of prospects – developing and executing cultivation plans and solicitation strategies
- Work with development to oversee creation and develop materials/agreements for fundraising (e.g. sponsorship and underwriting opportunities, major gifts, planned gifts, multi-year gifts, annual reports, fundraising collateral)
- Develop a yearly communication plan with development to ensure regular and consistent messaging – collaborating with the marketing and development teams
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or a similarly-related field from an accredited college or university
- 2+ years of experience in the communications/public relations/journalism arena
- Impeccable grammar, vocabulary, and communications skills, both verbal and written, with knowledge of AP Style writing
- Knowledge of performing arts preferred
- Creativity, innovative vision, and passion for out-of-the-box thinking
- Ability to work in a professional team environment, ensuring tact and positivity are always maintained
- Detail-oriented person, capable of working under pressure, and multi-tasking while working with several projects and consistently meeting deadlines
- Efficient time management and innovative problem-solving skills
- Interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution and respect for cultural diversity
- Demonstrated skills in handling the details associated with planning, organizing, and implementing events and maintaining records
- Ability to communicate effectively and maintain relationships with community leaders, donors, volunteers, media representatives and other staff
- Knowledge of the media industry
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Ability to make presentations in a professional manner
- Deep commitment to the mission of Palm Beach Symphony
- Ability to use Research tools and Donor Database Programs: Iwave and Patron Manager preferred
- Proficiency with social media, Microsoft Office applications and communications applications such as Constant Contact, Mailchimp, Adobe Suite, EMMA Email Marketing, and Raisers Edge/Blackbaud.
SUPERVISOR: Chief Executive Officer
Qualified applicants should email a résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Comms Mgr” in the subject line.
Please include the following information in cover letter:
- Availability and compensation requirements
- How you learned of the position
- Description of how your qualifications and experience match Palm Beach Symphony’s needs.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: January 31, 2020
Palm Beach Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates.
Job Type: Full-time
About Palm Beach Symphony
The mission of Palm Beach Symphony is to engage, educate, and entertain the greater community of the Palm Beaches through live performances of inspiring orchestral music. Palm Beach Symphony was founded in 1974 in recognition of the need for a professional orchestra in Palm Beach. The 46th season begins a new era for the orchestra, led by newly appointed and celebrated Music Director Gerard Schwarz.
The Symphony has grown and expanded from its early, small beginnings in 1974. It has worked and succeeded in becoming a key cultural force in the area through high quality concerts and fine dining experiences, social and community events, and educational outreach programs. The Symphony’s educational programs include a Children’s Concert Series, STEAM, Side-by-Side Concerts, in-school performances, Educational and Teachers Resources, performance opportunities, open dress rehearsals, and tickets for select performances throughout the year – all provided to students of all ages and grade levels at no cost to them.
SPECIALTIES: Palm Beach Symphony, Symphony, Nonprofit, Cultural Arts Music, Classical Music, Orchestra, Maestro Gerard Schwarz, Marketing,Communications, Performance