Education and Outreach Manager
OVERVIEW: The Palm Beach Symphony (PBS) is currently seeking an experienced and highly motivated Education and Outreach Manager to manage and continue to grow a well-established professional symphony orchestra. The ideal candidate must have a minimum of three years managerial experience, preferably in an arts not-for-profit operation setting. Must be detail oriented and organized, with the ability to multi-task and work under pressure. Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as professional telephone etiquette are required. Superior computer skills in Word and Excel are required; Adobe Suite graphic design knowledge a plus. Position requires experience in arts education and management as well as concert production.
SUMMARY: The main purpose of the Education and Outreach Manager is to implement education programs and community outreach events at Palm Beach Symphony (PBS), while simultaneously positively increasing awareness of the mission and fundraising efforts. Under the direction of the Director of Education and Orchestra Operations, this position works to achieve high quality educational programming for private and public-school students, as well as PBS performances through engagement es in the community.
- Manage the Instrumental Music Teacher of The Year nomination and award process, including panel selection and coordinating award package
- Manage the B Major Award program, including the nomination process, audition scheduling, panel selection, and coordinating instruments for student selection
- Supervise and execute all education initiatives
- Coordinate performances by student ensembles at out-of-school events
- Manage and schedule STEAM nights with Science Center
- Coordinate, oversee, and execute coaching sessions, master classes, in-school concerts, etc. with music teachers and PBS contractor
- Serve as primary contact for instrument donations - from receipt/purchase, to restoring, finding nominations, selecting recipients, and awarding instruments
- Track, record, and maintain instrument donation database, generate thank you/tax letters and follow-up letters
- Assist with the coordination of the children’s concert series including; developing curriculum guides, securing performance venues, coordinating reservation lists with teachers and schools, managing data collection for grant reporting, etc.
- Work with Marketing team on social media posts and e-newsletter regarding education and community engagement initiatives
- Work with Marketing team in updating web-site pages related to education and community engagement initiatives
- Work with Marketing team on the content, graphic and printing process for Children’s Concerts and other education needs: invitations, rsvp cards, program books, insert, posters, etc.
- Develop and maintain a calendar of deadlines for graphics and printing materials for projects
- Assist with coordinating and confirming photography at education initiatives
- Maintain detailed track of metrics for all education and outreach events
- Work with DEOO to develop Education Plan for each season
- Assist with developing annual education strategies and goals
- Develop and maintain relationships with music teachers in the county and with the District Arts Supervisor
- Work with Patron Advancement Coordinator to prepare and coordinate the mailing of sponsorship letters, sponsorship/underwriting decks for Education Programs
- Work with the Patron Advancement Coordinator with identifying and completing grant applications for education purposes
- Update Education/Outreach Google Cal when necessary
- Assist CEO and Staff with exceeding fundraising goals
2. Community Engagement
- Serve as primary contact regarding community engagement requests
- Coordinate, oversee, and execute outreach programs such as Nurturing Notes and Musical Masterpieces with PBS contractor and Creative Arts Therapies of the Palm Beaches
- Oversee the process for Randolph A. Frank Prize, including the nomination process, judges panel selection, and coordinate and execute the awards ceremony event with the Development & Special Events Coordinator
- Coordinate and oversee all (non-orchestra) community engagement engagements
- Develop and execute Run-of-Show
- Assist with the development and execution of orchestra community engagement events
- Assist with the development and maintaining of budget for community engagement initiatives
3. Concert Assistance
- Work with the marketing department to provide special ticket offers/complimentary tickets to teachers and students to events and performances
- Assist with front of house coverage at all masterworks and chamber music concerts
- Assist with updating and maintaining the Music Library Inventory
- Assist with updating and maintaining the PBS Program Archives
4. General Office
- Update PBS staff of scheduled education and community engagements at weekly staff meetings
- Assist with answering telephones, process ticket requests, and greet visitors as needed
- Serve as contact for ordering supplies for general office use
- Keep track of invoices and payments; submit expenditure request forms as needed
- Assist with coverage at special events as needed (Annual Gala, Holly Jolly, etc.)
- Attend weekly staff meetings as scheduled
- Bachelor’s degree in music and/or education from an accredited college or university.
- 3+ years of experience in the non-profit arts or education fields.
- Excellent grammar, vocabulary, and communications skills, both verbal and written, with knowledge of AP Style writing.
- Creativity, innovative vision, and passion for out-of-the-box thinking.
- Ability to work in a professional team environment, ensuring tact and positivity are always maintained.
- Detail-oriented person, capable of working under pressure, and multi-tasking while working with several projects and consistently meeting deadlines.
- Efficient time management and innovative problem-solving skills.
- Interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution and respect for cultural diversity.
- Demonstrated skills in handling the details associated with planning, organizing, and implementing events and maintaining records.
- Ability to communicate effectively with school administrators and teachers, donors, volunteers, and other staff.
- Knowledge of classical music.
- Ability to make presentations in a professional manner.
- Deep commitment to the mission of The Palm Beach Symphony.
- Proficiency with social media and Microsoft Office applications.
- Nonprofit experience, photography and basic Adobe Suite graphic design knowledge are all a plus!
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license and an insured personal vehicle.
SUPERVISOR: Director of Education and Orchestra Operations
Qualified applicants should email a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com with “Education and Outreach Manager” in the subject line.
Please include the following information in cover letter:
- Availability and compensation requirements
- How you learned of the position
- Description of how your qualifications and experience match Palm Beach Symphony’s needs.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: November 29, 2020
Only electronic submissions will be considered. Submission deadline is Friday, November 29. All nominations and expressions of interest will be held in the strictest confidence. Salary is commensurate with experience, within the framework of the organization’s annual operating budget.
Palm Beach Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates.
Job Type: Full-time
About Palm Beach Symphony
The mission of Palm Beach Symphony is to engage, educate, and entertain the greater community of the Palm Beaches through live performances of inspiring orchestral music. Palm Beach Symphony was founded in 1974 in recognition of the need for a professional orchestra in Palm Beach. The 46th season begins a new era for the orchestra, led by newly appointed and celebrated Music Director Gerard Schwarz.
The Symphony has grown and expanded from its early, small beginnings in 1974. It has worked and succeeded in becoming a key cultural force in the area through high quality concerts and fine dining experiences, social and community events, and educational outreach programs. The Symphony’s educational programs include a Children’s Concert Series, STEAM, Side-by-Side Concerts, in-school performances, Educational and Teachers Resources, performance opportunities, open dress rehearsals, and tickets for select performances throughout the year – all provided to students of all ages and grade levels at no cost to them.
SPECIALTIES: Palm Beach Symphony, Symphony, Nonprofit, Cultural Arts Music, Classical Music, Orchestra, Maestro Gerard Schwarz, Education, Outreach, Performance