Director of Development
OVERVIEW: Palm Beach Symphony is currently seeking an experienced and highly motivated Director of Development (DOD) to lead and manage the organizations philanthropic efforts. The ideal candidate must have a minimum of five years of development experience and five years managerial experience, preferably with an arts not-for-profit. Demonstrated success in a fundraising role is necessary, as well as experience with move management. Knowledge and experience with the arts, arts management, and concert production preferred. Experience working with boards, committees, and volunteers is essential. Must be detail oriented and organized, with the ability to multi-task and work under pressure. Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as professional telephone etiquette are required.
SUMMARY: The Director of Development is primarily responsible for planning, organizing, executing, and directing Palm Beach Symphony’s fundraising programs: membership, annual fund, planned giving, fundraising events (Holly Jolly Symphony Fête luncheon, Gala, Golf Invitational), corporate giving, major gifts, foundations, and Young Friends of Palm Beach Symphony. The employee will report and work closely with the Executive Director and will engage the board of directors in all aspects of fundraising. The DOD will conceptualize and implement Palm Beach Symphony’s yearly development plan which supports the operations of Palm Beach Symphony, masterworks concerts, chamber music concerts, music extras, music education, and community outreach initiatives.
As a leading role within the organization, the DOD will interact frequently with all segments of the West Palm Beach and Palm Beach community as well as all of Palm Beach County to establish beneficial relationships. The employee will be involved with all aspects of donor relationship management in order to achieve yearly fundraising goals and create awareness for Palm Beach Symphony programs. In addition, the DOD will manage the Development & Special Events Coordinator and Development Assistant.
Patron Cultivation and Revenue Enhancement Strategy and Execution
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and board to develop and implement long- and short-term fundraising strategies to meet and/or exceed Palm Beach Symphony’s annual fundraising goals
- Devise, implement, and manage a comprehensive fundraising program, including the creation of a development plan that maximizes contributed income from individuals, foundations, corporations,and government sources
- Lead, coordinate, and manage the development team to expand income from Palm Beach Symphony’s membership program, annual fund, planned giving, fundraising events (HollyJolly Symphony Fête luncheon, Gala, Golf Invitational), corporate giving, major gifts, foundations, and Young Friends of Palm Beach Symphony in order to reach annual goals
- Assist the ED with driving fundraising activities and personally engage with top prospects
- Actively engage the board in all fundraising activities and personally educate each member on how to best cultivate, solicit, and steward their network
- Meet and contact prospective donors(current, lapsed, and potential) on a continual basis – including individuals,foundations, and corporate partners
- Manage the organization’s list of prospects – developing and executing cultivation plans and solicitation strategies
- Regularly attend donor events, social functions, professional networking events, and community events representing Palm Beach Symphony
Development Events and Donor Stewardship
- Partner, engage, and support fundraising chairs and committees in the planning and execution of the annual gala, luncheon, and golf invitational in order to maximize sponsorship, underwriting, and ticket sales
- Work with the Development & Special Events Coordinator (DSE) in order to increase engagement at special events: member dinners, donor recognition events, and receptions
- Closely monitor plans, budgets, catering contracts, vendor compliance, scripts, and run-of-shows with the DSE
Work with the DSE on confirming photography schedule, shot-lists, and to ensure all appropriate donor/member photos are captured
- Maintain relationships with sponsors and major funders to provide reports on their specific gifts to programs and events
- Welcome, address, and steward new supporters and maintain relationships with them in order to increase their gifts to Palm Beach Symphony
- Manage all tax-acknowledgement letters for gift to Palm Beach Symphony (under $10,000) and ensure proper recognition for each
- Serve as an adviser and leader for all event committees, development, and Young Friends executive committee to ensure maximum efficiency and results
- Responsible for speaking engagements and attendance at public events, especially in the absence of
Departmental Administration and Operations
- Design and organize a departmental plan of work to achieve annual operating goals for individual donors, foundations, corporate sponsorships, government grants, special events, and future campaigns
- Prepare and monitor development revenue and expense budgets, provide accurate reporting and analysis for weekly staff meetings, and oversee the proper maintenance of Palm Beach Symphony’s database
- Create guidelines for creating donor and prospect records in order to ensure accuracy and a standard procedure
- Develop a yearly communication plan for development to ensure regular and consistent messaging – collaborating with the marketing team
- Track, record, initiate, and maintain patron moves management: identification, cultivation activities, solicitation, and stewardships for all lapsed, renewals, and prospects (individuals, corporations, and foundations)
- Coordinate and oversee the production of all development collateral (including copy and design) working closely with marketing staff to ensure consistent branding and messaging (including season brochure, impact report, invitations, fact sheets, and other collateral)
- Supervise and mentor the development team as it evolves by setting clear expectations, providing, motivation, assisting in their professional development, and maintain the highest levels of professionalism
- Recruit, assign, and train volunteers to assist within the development office and special event duties
- Oversee development staff and volunteers before, during, and after special events and day-to-day development operations
- Oversee creation and develop materials/agreements for fundraising (e.g. sponsorship and underwriting opportunities, major gifts, planned gifts, multi-year gifts, annual reports, fundraising collateral)
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and minimum of five years of development experiences – with leadership responsibilities preferred
- Demonstrated track record in a fundraising role is necessary, with a background in all aspects of development
- Knowledge and experience with the Palm Beach County community preferred
- Knowledge of the performing arts preferred
- Excellent organizational, managerial, and communication skills (written and oral)
- Flexible and adaptable style
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, attention to detail and passion for PBS’ mission is essential
- A professional and resourceful style; the ability to work independently and as a team player, to take initiative, and to manage multiple tasks and projects at a time
- Experience directly interfacing with and presenting to artistic, board, and organizational leadership
Passion and love of classical music is a plus
- Ability to work evenings, weekends, and some holidays
- Strong Computer Skills – Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Ability to use Research tools and Donor Database Programs: Iwave and Patron Manager preferred
- Experience working and interacting with boards, committees, and community leaders
SUPERVISOR: Executive Director
Qualified applicants should email a résumé and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Development” in the subject line.
Please include the following information in cover letter:
- Availability and compensation requirements
- How you learned of the position
- Description of how your qualifications and experience match Palm Beach Symphony’s needs.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: June 30, 2019.
For complete description and application instructions, visit http://palmbeachsymphony.org/contact/opportunities/
Palm Beach Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates.
About Palm Beach Symphony
The mission of Palm Beach Symphony is to engage, educate, and entertain the greater community of the Palm Beaches through live performances of inspiring orchestral music. Palm Beach Symphony was founded in 1974 in recognition of the need for a professional orchestra in Palm Beach.
Now in its 46th season and under the leadership of Executive Director David McClymont, Palm Beach Symphony has grown into a world-class orchestra with an expanded mission that includes carefully crafted education and community outreach programs that bring live classical music programs and concerts into schools, community centers, and public venues in and around the Palm Beaches.